Underpinning sustainable development
Our report with UNOPS finds that efficient infrastructure policy and disciplined investment decisions are vital for attaining the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Infrastructure: Underpinning Sustainable Development highlights the need to understand infrastructure as an integrated system of systems – the interdependencies across sectors requires us to break down the ‘silo mentality’ in infrastructure development. We developed a new tool set to address these issues and help practice, so global policy-makers in global infrastructure development to develop policies that are sustainable and support achievement of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
ITRC Consortium wins Infrastructure Award at the EG Tech Awards
Judges at the ceremony on 10 July 2019 said the winner hit the brief on so many levels. From innovative infrastructure analysis to a focus on future needs as well as the present. ‘The winner demonstrated a razor sharp approach to tackling infrastructure issues head on.’
The first long-term view of the UK’s infrastructure needs was published in July 2018 by the National Infrastructure Commission, underpinned by our advanced modelling and analysis of future scenarios. We are continuing to work with the National Infrastructure Commission in preparation for their next assessments.
Understand our work with the World Bank on how $4.2 Trillion Can Be Saved by Investing only extra 3% in building more Resilient Infrastructure in low to middle income countries. Sustainable infrastructure addresses inequalities: it gives a lifeline to better health, better education and better livelihoods to people, households and communities. A new report has been recently published.
ITRC-MISTRAL played an important role in the National Infrastructure Commission’s (NIC) report Preparing for a drier future – England’s water infrastructure needs. This report assesses the options for ensuring stable water supplies even during droughts.
- SustainABLE tool – achieve Sustainable Development Goals through inclusive infrastructure projects
- Informed Decisions – ITRC article in Construction and Civil Engineering
- Pioneering study by Dr Elco Koks published by Nature Communications – A global multi-hazard risk analysis of road and railway infrastructure assets
- Dr Elco Koks wins prestigious Veni grant, funded by the Dutch Research Council (NWO)
- ITRC Consortium wins Infrastructure Award at the EG Tech Awards
- $4.2 Trillion can be saved by investing in more resilient infrastructure, New World Bank & ITRC report finds
- Sustainable development depends on high-quality infrastructure: Private investment is vital in projects to prevent natural disasters ruining societies – UNOPS & ITRC partnership
- ITRC, UNOPS, World Bank, IABD, DFiD, GIZ collaboration: Infrastructure for sustainable development, Nature Sustainability
- ITRC modellers Will Usher, Simon Blainey, Modassar Chaudry and DAFNI software engineers win the Geospatial Hackathon hosted by the Infrastructure Projects Authority (IPA)
- ITRC Risk & Resilience Team contributed ground-breaking analysis to new Environment Agency report on investment in flood and coastal erosion risk management – 40% of transport & utilities assets at risk
- New World Bank report & video: Beyond the gap: How low and middle income countries can afford the infrastructure they need while protecting the planet
- Solar storms could cause blackouts and leave Britain with £16 billion worth of damage, warns ITRC’s Dr Ed Oughton
- UN & ITRC at COP24: The infrastructure – climate change nexus: Integrated approaches as a catalyst for transformational change (pdf, 630 KB)
- ITRC and Digital Catapult modelling 5G technology for the UK
- Chancellor formally requests the National Infrastructure Commission to conduct a study on infrastructure resilience
- ITRC researcher Dr Ed Oughton selected for Young Scholar Award by the Pacific Telecommunication Council
- You can now follow us on LinkedIn…