The first report, A fast track analysis of strategies for infrastructure provision in Great Britain (FTA), reviewed the current status and future challenges for energy, transport, water, waste and ICT sectors. The report explores the effect of different scenarios of demand for infrastructure services in Great Britain. It explores the implications for infrastructure performance of three alternative strategies for national infrastructure provision:
- capacity-intensive (CI), providing high investment in new capacity to keep up with demand and maintain good security of supply in all sectors;
- capacity-constrained (CC), a low investment strategy with no increases in the current level of infrastructure investment, and an emphasis is placed upon demand management measures;
- decentralised (DC), a reorientation of infrastructure provision from centralised grid-based networks to more distributed systems, involving a combination of supply and demand-side measures.
The FTA piloted the framework for long term strategic analysis of national infrastructure systems, which informed the design of the ITRC’s National Infrastructure Systems Models (NISMOD).
- A fast track analysis of strategies for infrastructure provision in Great Britain: Executive summary (pdf, 3.6 MB)
- A fast track analysis of strategies for infrastructure provision in Great Britain: Full technical report (pdf, 11.3 MB)
- Annex A: Alternative approaches to analysis of long term futures (pdf, 570 KB)
- Annex B: Assessment of key and secondary drivers (pdf, 560 KB)
- Annex C: Modelling Great Britain demographic changes (pdf, 1.2 MB)
- Annex D: Multisectoral analysis of economic change (pdf, 1.9 MB)
- Annex E: Energy – supplementary material (pdf, 570 KB)
- Annex F: Transport – supplementary material (pdf, 590 KB)
- Annex G: Water – supplementary material (pdf, 620 KB)
- Annex H: Wastewater – supplementary material (pdf, 540 KB)
- Annex I: Solid waste – supplementary material (pdf, 1.6 MB)
- Annex J: ICT – supplementary material (pdf, 690 KB)
- Annex K: Governance – supplementary material (pdf, 620 KB)
Hall, J.W., Henriques, J.J., Hickford, A., Nicholls, R., Alderson, D., Barr, S., Baruah, P., Beavan, R., Birkin, M., Blainey, S., Byers, E., Chaudry, M., Curtis, T., Ebrahimy, R., Eyre, N., Hiteva, R., Jenkins, N., Jones, C., Kilsby, C., Leathard, A., Otto, A., Oughton, E., Powrie, W., Preston, J., Qadrdan, M., Thoung, C., Tyler, P., Watson, J., Watson, G. and Zuo, C.